Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Berry Baked Oatmeal and Minted Fruit Salad

The BF and I started Week 8 with a long hike so we needed some lasting energy in the morning. We found it in the form of some baked oatmeal and minted fruit salad!


I finally took the risk of tweaking my favourite baked oatmeal recipe to see if I can make it even healthier! I halved the sugar and substituted a ripe banana for the 1/4 cup of oil. I didn't even miss them!

Berry Baked Oatmeal

3 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp ground flax
1/2 cup nuts (I use walnuts or almonds)

1 1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 mashed banana

1 1/2 cup fruit (I used strawberries and blueberries, mangos or peaches work great too!)

Pure Maple Syrup, to drizzle on the top before baking and for serving. 

Mix dry and wet ingredients separately and then together. Add fruit and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350F.  Top with yogurt, more fruit and a drizzle of maple syrup.



Minted Fruit Salad

Chop your favourite fruit into a bowl. I used what we had on hand: cantaloupe, an orange, strawberries and blueberries. 
Roll fresh mint leaves into a cigar shape and slice. 
Add a few splashes of fruit juice or squeeze an orange into the bowl. 

Chill and serve!


Emilie

1 comment:

  1. That minted fruit salad sounds delicious! I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete