Friday, April 27, 2012

picnic at work and almond date squares

I'm on the road again today! So I used the pretty picnic basket my mom gave me at Easter to pack breakfast, lunch and two snacks.



For breakfast I made myself a smoothy and will have a chewy granola square. 

For mid morning snack I'll grab a yogurt container I have stashed in the fridge at work.

I'll make a pita sandwich for lunch:
1 whole wheat pita
1 small jar of hummus
1 container of lettuce, tomato, guacamole and alfalfa sprouts

For afternoon snack:
1  container of carrots (to dip into the leftover hummus!)

Finally, for my driving snack (as I'm heading straight to boxing, I'll need to eat something before dinner):
1 segmented orange (easier to eat while driving!)
the other chewy granola square

These chewy granola bars are my new favourite homemade bar!


Chewy Almond Date Squares
(makes 8 thick squares)

1 cup dates
1 cup almonds
1/4 coconut
3 tbsp flax seed
2 tbsp sesame seeds
3 tbsp honey

Blend in the food processor till it starts to clump and stick together. Press down into pan (I use a parchment paper lined loaf pan because I like them thicker) and chill for a few hours. Cut into squares! Voila!

Adapted from here (I increased the dates and honey because they weren't staying together enough, plus I substituted flax for the chia seeds). I've also blogged about them before here.

Emilie

No comments:

Post a Comment